Monday, October 18, 2010

Out and About

I have met most of the relevant people as of now. Even better, the chaplain whose office I will cover has not used his bicycle in a long time. That saves me the trouble of having to buy one.

It is quiet, and I do not have much to write. I found a recipe though, and I thought you might like it. If you cannot find Japanese pumpkin, try the obvious substitute - radishes. I have not tasted it, but I am looking forward to it.

One half kabocha (small Japanese pumpkin, usually green)
3.5 tbsp sugar
1.5 tbsp soy sauce
1.5 cup dashi soup (made from dry bonito flakes - recipes available on line)

Scoop and peel the pumpkin.
Cut pumpkin into slices 2 inches thick.
Place pieces in deep pan, former skin side down. Add dashi soup, and cook at high heat. The recipe does not say for how long.
Lower heat, add sugar and let it dissolve. Cook at low for 7-8 minutes.
Add soy sauce, and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
Lower heat, cover pan, and simmer until pumpkin is tender.
Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment