Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Books on a Desert Island

Hi all...

I know it has been a while.

We were assigned today to come back in tomorrow with the titles of three books that we would want with us if we were stranded on a desert island. I came up with four.

1. "To Kill a Mockingbird" - It is the only book I have ever read that I kept hoping the author could find a way to extend further. It is magnificently written. I was sad when it ended, because I wanted it to continue on.

2. "Lady Chatterley's Lover" - This book is also wonderful. It is a reminder to me that a marriage must have more than an intimate mental connection in order to be a happy marriage. It must also have an intimate physical connection. Those two connections are sides of the same coin. It also reminds me that missing our spouses sexually is not just a physical statement. It is a statement of intimacy. Related to that, we should also remember that what happens to us physically also happens to us spiritually/psychologically. Body and spirit/soul/psyche are not absolute dichotomies.

3. "Robinson Crusoe" - This requires no explanation.

4. "US Army Survival Manual" - This also requires no explanation.

If any of my loyal readers has another idea, I would love to know.

Have a good evening.

R/SCG

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rabbi. Interesting question! It was very difficult to pick my personal favourites from a lifetime of reading, but I based my decisions on how many times I still re-read certain books, finding new and fascinating aspects each time.

    I absolutely agree with you about "To Kill a Mockingbird" (as a teenager, I named my pet budgie Scout!). But I would replace your other three with "Gone with the Wind" and "Exodus" (both containing fascinating fictional characters in the backdrop of tumultuous historical times) and "Atlas Shrugged" (the only book about economics and the business world that ever caught my imagination).

    Gilda

    ReplyDelete