Monday, February 25, 2013

Blessings of Life

Top of the evening all...

Note to all: my most popular entry has been my rules of marriage.  The rules of marriage have been accumulating over the 15 years of my rabbinate.  To my chagrin, there are not always happy stories associated with the development of each rule.  Anyway, as of this evening, that entry alone has received over 800 hits.  Only 750 of those hits are mine.  I recommend going back and checking the newest rule.  It has a lot to do with marital communication.

One of my newer readers has commented to one of my recent blog posts.  He suggests that I have many blessings in my life.

I do.

What are those blessings?  I have a job.  This is important, especially in this world.

I have a wife who loves me, or at least puts up with me.  We have been married almost 20 years.

I have three kids...same thing.

I have two cats.  One is on a diet.  I am not sure he likes me.

Jennifer and I are both in our 40's...well...she is in her 20's, and has been for as long as I have known her.  Both sets of parents are alive and well.

I take these blessings very seriously.

I smile when I see my wife.  I smile when I see my kids.  I smile when the cat sits on my shoulder (should have purchased a parrot).  I smile when I see my congregants.  It is both an internal smile, as well as a sign to all that I am happy to see them.

I drive carpool so that my kids can go to school and to karate.  I make dinner several nights a week.  I go in to shul a little late sometimes so that my wife can go in a little early.  I work hard when I am at the office.  I play ping pong and build with trains with the kids.

Folks...stop and look around you.  You have blessings in your life.  Realize what they are.  Acknowledge them from time to time.  Work hard at cultivating those blessings.  Do not take them for granted.  Today's blessings easily become tomorrow's absences, whether by our own blundering or by the cards we are all dealt.

I thank UserDand for making me think about this.

Good night all.

R/SCG








No comments:

Post a Comment