Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Why Do I Do This to Myself?


Top of the evening everyone...

I read the news every day, without fail.  In the paper version (yes...I still get the paper version), I thoroughly enjoy not just the news, but also the letters to the editor and the op-ed page.  Sometimes, I go there first.

I also read on line.  On line, many of the articles will allow any and all readers to make comments on the article.  This is distressing, to say the least.

For starters, the grammar is awful.  It suggests a low level of either education or concern, neither of which are particularly palatable.  

Beyond that, the degree of racism, sexism, and extremism just makes these comments vile.  It is remarkably discomforting to read the rhetoric that is on these pages.  It makes it easy to see why the American political scene is so polarized and fragmented these days.

It has been very little time since my last post, but I must return to Bloom County.  The comments that have gone with the return of the comic strip have been delightful.  People have been kind and appreciative not just of the return of the comic, but of each other.  As well, the comments on the facebook page have had good spelling and grammar.  There is hope.

Welcome back, Bloom County.  We missed you in ways that never occurred to us.

R/SCG

No comments:

Post a Comment